“Captivating and charismatic, encompassing learning in a home away from home.”
- Choose New Zealand
- In the beautiful township of Whitianga which is 2.5 hours drive from Auckland that offers a variety of English courses and activities which makes for an awesome all-round learning experience.
- COLC is in a small, safe, seaside town with a relaxed lifestyle often including fishing, surfing and boating. Delight is found in how friendly the community is.
- Coromandel Outdoor is an English language school that specialises in its “plus” activities offered. Courses range from General English Plus Examination Preparation Course (FCE/CAE/IELTS), Special English Plus (includes activities such as helping restore native bush and working with the Kiwi), to General English Plus Surf Course.
The Government report (ERO) says: (Full Report here)
- Students and their tutors expressed a high degree of satisfaction with the students’ improvement at a consistently high level. Learning needs are met, challenged and extended. This has resulted in high student motivation to extend their study time or to return for further study.
- The focus of COLC is on students’ positive learning experiences. This focus was not just limited to progress with English language, but also includes social and cultural outcomes.
- Students feel welcomed on arrival to New Zealand and to the school, having a positive experience with a range of nationalities in the student group.
- COLC also has a significant role in the local community in attracting students who contribute to the local economy, live with families, and participate in a number of community-based activities. Some former students have settled locally and are in employment.
Coromandel Outdoor Language Centre has been offering students an outstanding teaching and learning environment for over 25 years.
- COLC is rated by NZQA as a Category One School that means school has achieve an excellent record of student achievement and satisfaction with students' learning outcomes
- COLC is one of only four NZ Schools who are members of International Association of Language Centres (IALC) that is a global network of high quality, independent language schools that specialise in teaching the language
- COLC is a signatory to the NZ Ministry of Education Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students that gives the assurance of our standard of care, good practice procedures and complaint procedure
- COLC uses the public trust to provide the student fee protection. This is the best form of cover available and will guaranty that paid up students fees are safe.
COLC is the friendliest little language school in New Zealand. Since 1988 we have been providing excellent English tuition to students from all round the world. Students love our family atmosphere and we have a great reputation for being prepared to do those extra things to help look after our students. We provide a truly unique New Zealand experience. We teach communicative English in small classes with a maximum of 12 students. We believe in “learning by doing” where English learning takes place in real life situations beyond the classroom, with real tasks and interactions with local people. We teach students from 16 to 80 years old. Age is no barrier to “Learning by Doing”.
Roll: up to 50 students at one time with maximum class sizes of 12, about 100-180 International students per year
“Learning by Doing” COLC’s Learning by Doing provides students with opportunities to experience a diverse range of activities in a tourist town with a unique coastal environment. These activities provide structured opportunities to build vocabulary and practice English conversation skills.
COLC is located in a renovated old Kauri villa beside the Whitianga harbour and only a few minutes’ walk from the centre of town. The original part of the building is one of the oldest houses in town and is surrounded by beautiful grounds that are available for games and student’s recreation.
Whitianga: is a small, safe, seaside town. It is a popular holiday destination and has an excellent varity of restaurants, bars and cafes. The local people enjoy a relaxed lifestyle which often includes ocean activities such as fishing, surfing and boating. Students are often surprised and delighted by how informal and friendly their host families are. Relaxing at the beach, watching the night sky, exploring the bush and coastline are all part of our students’ enjoyment Whitianga.
Coromandel Peninsula: situated only two and a half hours from Auckland City, the Coromandel Peninsula, with its forested, golden beaches and vast stretches of rugged coastline, is truly one of the most beautiful coastal areas of New Zealand. The Coromandel Peninsula is a holiday area and a tourist destination recommend the beautiful Cathedral Cave which was featured in the Narnia Movie" Prince Caspian".