Covid-19 Update Six – Important Information

Important Information

ONSHORE STUDENTS: I work part-time in an essential service, and would like to work full-time now. What do I do?

If you work in an essential service as a student, your employer may request a variation of conditions allowing you to work full-time during Level 3 and 4 and for six weeks after we move down from those levels. They may use the online form on the INZ website, but should ensure they complete it carefully or your request may be denied: 

If you intend to work full-time during your studies, we encourage you to discuss this with your education provider to ensure you continue to meet the requirements of your study.

If you hold an interim student visa now, you may not request a variation of conditions.

ONSHORE STUDENTS: I work part-time in healthcare, can I now work full-time?

If you were employed in an essential health worker role (including aged residential care) on 3 April 2020, you will be able to work more than 20 hours for the period 3 April 2020 to 3 July 2020 in order to support the public health response to COVID-19. This includes aged residential care.

This includes interim student visa holders as well.

ONSHORE STUDENTS: My student visa was going to expire between 2 April and 9 July, but has now been extended until 25 September, but I need to change courses before then. What does this mean?

While the visa extension scheme has been good news for many, it means that students cannot expect to receive interim open student visas allowing them to start a new course.

If you were expecting to start a new course on an open student visa in the interim and did not receive one, you many have to defer your course start date until your new student visa is processed. The good news is that INZ is now prioritising onshore student visa applications, so you can expect a decision in good time.

All visa holders may check their current visa status using INZ's visa verification service:

OFFSHORE STUDENTS: I have a valid student visa and my course is starting soon, can I come to New Zealand?

No. You will need to wait until the New Zealand government re-open the border to temporary visa holders. Exceptions can be made in truly special circumstances, but we do not expect most students will meet the criteria.

If this delay causes you to miss your course start date, your education provider will need to issue you a new offer of place with a later course start date. They will need to inform INZ of this.

OFFSHORE STUDENTS: My student visa requires me to arrive in New Zealand before a certain date, and due to the travel ban I cannot. What should I do?

INZ is still discussing whether or not they will defer latest entry dates on current visas. While we expect they will do so, there is no confirmation on the matter as of this date. 

OFFSHORE STUDENTS: I applied for a student visa and am still waiting for a decision. When can I expect one?

Currently, INZ is not prioritising offshore student visa applications. As its offices remain closed until further notice, we cannot provide any information on when your visa will be decided.

Again, keep in mind that if you miss your course start date you will need to obtain a new offer of place from your provider and inform INZ of the situation.

ALL STUDENTS: I cannot afford my tuition fees or living expenses – can I still get a student visa?

For your tuition fees, you may discuss this matter with your provider and see if you can come to an arrangement. INZ will assess your circumstances on a case-by-base basis.

For your living expenses, you must have access to $15,000 per year of study ($1250 per month for courses <36 weeks). There is no exception to this requirement.

Related Posts

On 30 September 2021, the Government announced a new one-off residence visa pathway for some temporary work visa holders currently in New Zealand. Some people arriving in New Zealand between

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet