The Certificate in Jade and Hard Stone Carving (Level 4) provides students with an introduction to the technical and design aspects of carving limestone, jade and hard stones. This course includes traditional Maori and contemporary design, and can lead on to the Diploma in Jade and Hard Stone Carving (Level 5), making a 2-year course.
Each student has their own workstation to use with specialist equipment, in a pleasant and safe workshop.
STUDY HIGHLIGHTS SUMMARY
- Carving: Introduction to tools, safety, reading and cutting the stone, Teardrops
- Carving: Maori tradition, styles, and meaning
- Design for Carving: Design process for carving Pounamu and hard stone
- 3D Design Studies: 3D drawing, 3D modelling, Limestone carving
- Personal Designs: Design and carving project based on given brief
Elective: Students must select one of the following
- Business Skills for Carvers: pricing, business plans, setting up a workshop, tools and maintenance
- Work Experience: Student placement and report on learning
- Academic Skills: information retrieval, academic writing and presentation methods, TPP computer network and applications.
Jade carver and sculptor. Students have either gained employment in the jade carving industry or have set up their own jade studios, others often go on to Jewellery/Art and Education in other polytechnics and universities.
- Completed equivalent of 4 years New Zealand High School.
- English Language: IELTS (Academic Test) 5.5 or equivalence. No band less than 5.0
NOTE: Candidates must possess the physical capacity to engage in the practical carving components of the programme.
|Course Level||Certificate - Level 4, 5, 6 or 7|
|Study Type||Full Time|
|Tuition Fee||$18,000 (or if enrol 2 years then $19,500 first year + $10,000 second year)|
|Other Study Costs||$200 (Tai Poutini Polytechnic pays for Medical/Travel Insurance for their International Students)|